Xiamen University, Xiamen, Fujian, China Ph.D. 1996 Analytical Chemistry
Xiamen University, Xiamen, Fujian, China B.E. 1990 Analytical Instrumentation
Professor, 2005 - present
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Xiamen University, China
Technical Staff Member, National Flow Cytometry Resource, 2001 - 2005
Bioscience Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory, New Mexico, USA
Post-doctoral researcher, 1997 - 2001
Bioscience Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory, New Mexico, USA
Post-doctoral researcher, 1996 - 1997
Department of Chemistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA.
The 12th Youth Science and Technology Award of Fujian Province, 2014
National Young and Middle-aged Leading Talents in Science and Technology Innovation, 2013, Ministry of Science and Technology
May 1 labor medals, Xiamen City, 2013
Leading Scientist of Fujian Province Universities, 2013
National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars of China, 2012
New Century Excellent Talents in University (NCET) by MOE of China, 2007
Strategic hire fund ($100K), Los Alamos National Laboratory, USA, 2002
Bioscience Division Employee Award, Los Alamos National Laboratory, USA, 2001
Japanese Government Scholarship, Japan, 1994 - 1996
Outstanding Graduate Student Award, Xiamen University, 1993
First-grade Graduate Student Research Achievement Award, Xiamen University, 1992
Development of advanced instrumentation and methodologies for biochemical analysis and biosensing.
The main research focuses include ：
1) Development of high sensitivity flow cytometry (HSFCM) to address the challenge of quantitative physical and biochemical characterization of single nanoparticles in nanotechnology, nanobiotechnology, nanomedicine, biopharmaceuticals, and basic science.
2) High-throughput, high-resolution, and multiparameter characterization of single natural and synthetic nanoparticles such as gold, silver, silica, polymeric, and iron oxide nanoparticles, lipid-based nanomedicines, quantum dots, and viruses.
3) Specific analysis of individual bacteria for pathogen identification, antibiotic resistance detection, and biological function studies.
4) Development of advanced methodologies for the individual analysis of subcellular organelles such as mitochondria, extracellular vesicles (microvesicles and exosomes), and chromosomes.
5) Development of microsphere-based suspension array technology for biomedical and biochemical applications.
61. ChaoxiangChen, XiangZhang, ShuyueZhang, ShaobinZhu, JingyiXu, YanZheng, JinyanHan, Jin-ZhangZeng, XiaomeiYan. Quantification of protein copy number in single mitochondria: The Bcl-2 family proteins. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2015, 74, 476-482.
60. Yu, MX; Wu, LN; Huang, TX; Wang, S; Yan, XM*. Rapid detection and enumeration of total bacteria in drinking water and tea beverages by a laboratory-built high-sensitivity flow cytometer, Anal. Methods, 2015, 7, 3072-3079.
59. Zhang, Z*; Deng, CQ; Meng, LS; Zheng, Y; Yan, XM. A rhodamine hydrazide-based fluorescent probe for sensitive and selective detection of hypochlorous acid and its application in living cells, Anal. Methods, 2015, 7, 107-114.
58. Zhu, SB; Ma, L; Wang, S; Chen, CX; Zhang, WQ; Yang, LL; Hang, W; Nolan, J. P.; Wu, LN; Yan, XM*. Light-scattering detection below the level of single fluorescent molecules for high-resolution characterization of functional nanoparticles. ACS Nano, 2014, 8, 10998-11006.
57. Zhang, X; Zhang, SY; Zhu, SB; Chen, S; Han, JY; Gao, KM; Zeng, JZ; Yan, XM*. Rapid identification of mitochondria targeting anticancer compounds by an in vitro strategy, Anal. Chem. 2014, 86, 5232−5237.
56. Wu, LN; Luan, T; Yang, XT; Wang, S; Zheng, Y; Huang, TX; Zhu, SB; Yan, XM*. Trace detection of specific viable bacteria using tetracysteine-tagged bacteriophages, Anal. Chem. 2014, 86, 907-912.
55. Yang, CW; Chen, S; Zhou, M; Li, Y; Li, YF; Zhang, ZX; Liu, Z; Ba, Q; Li, JQ; Wang, H; Yan, XM*; Ma, DW*; Wang, RX*. Development of 3-Phenyl-N-(2-(3-phenylureido) ethyl)-thiophene-2-sulfonamide compounds as inhibitors of antiapoptotic Bcl-2 family proteins, ChemMedChem, 2014, 9, 1436-1452.
54. Xu, F; Zhu, L; Zhu, SB; Yan, XM; Xu, HC*. Electrochemical intramolecular aminooxygenation of unactivated alkenes, Chem. Eur. J., 2014, 20, 12740-12744.
53. Huang, ZZ; Zhang, SD; Hang, W*; Chen, YD; Zheng, JX; Li, W; Xing, JC; Zhu, EY; Yan, XM. Liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry based serum peptidomic approach for renal clear cell carcinoma diagnosis, J. Pharmaceut. Biomed., 2014, 100, 175-183.
52. Shao, Q; Zheng, Y; Dong, XM; Tang, K; Yan, XM*; Xing BG*. A covalent reporter of β-lactamase activity for fluorescent imaging and rapid screening of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, Chem. Eur. J., 2013, 19, 10903-10910.
51. Yang, LL;† Huang, TX;† Zhu, SB; Zhou YX; Jiang, YB; Wang, S; Chen, YQ; Wu, LN; Yan XM*. High-throughput single-cell analysis of low copy number β-Galactosidase by a laboratory-built high-sensitivity flow cytometer, Biosens. Bioelectron. 2013, 48, 49-56.
50. Chen, CX; Zhu SB; Huang TX; Wang S; Yan, XM*. Analytical techniques for single-liposome characterization. Anal. Methods, 2013, 5, 2150-2157.
49. Yang, L; Wu, SQ; Lin, BJ; Huang, TX; Chen, XP; Yan, XM; Han, SF*. A targetable nanogenerator of nitric oxide for light-triggered cytotoxicity. J. Mater. Chem. B, 2013, 1, 6115.
48. Huang, ZZ; Chen, YJ; Hang, W.*, Gao, Y.; Lin, L.; Li, D. Y.; Xing, JC; Yan, XM. Holistic Metabonomic Profiling of Urine Affords Potential Early Diagnosis for Bladder and Kidney Cancers, Metabolomics. 2013, 9, 119-129.
47. Zhang, SY; Zhu, SB; Yang, LL; Zheng, Y; Gao, M; Wang, S; Zeng, J-Z; and Yan, XM*. High-throughput multiparameter analysis of individual mitochondria, Anal. Chem. 2012, 84, 6421-6428.
46. Yang, LL; Zhou, YX; Zhu, SB; Huang, TX; Wu, LN; Yan, XM*. Detection and quantification of bacterial autofluorescence at the single-cell level by a laboratory-built high-sensitivity flow cytometer, Anal. Chem. 2012, 84, 1526-1532.
45. Huang, H; Chen, ZJ; Yan, XM*. Simultaneous determination of serotonin and creatinine in urine by combining two ultrasound-assisted emulsification microextractions with on-column stacking in capillary electrophoresis, J. Sep. Sci. 2012, 35, 436-444.
44. Lin, L; Huang, ZZ; Gao, Y; Chen, YJ; Hang, W.*, Xing, JC; Yan, XM. LC-MS based serum metabolic profiling for genitourinary cancer classification and cancer type-specific biomarker discovery, Proteomics, 2012, 12, 2238-2246.
43. Lu, N.; Liu, JX; Liu, J.; Zhang, CY; Jiang, FQ; Wu, H.; Chen, LQ; Zeng, WJ; Cao, XH; Yan, TD; Wang, GH; Zhou, H.; Lin, BZ; Yan, XM; Zhang, XK; and Zeng, JZ*. Antagonist effect of triptolide on AKT activation by truncated retinoid X receptor-alpha. PLoS One. 2012, 7(4): e35722.
42. Gao, Y.; Yang, N.; Yan, XM; Hang, W.*; Xing, JC; Zheng, J.; Zhu, EY; Huang, BL. Early diagnosis of urinary lithiasis via elementary profile of serum samples, Anal. Methods. 2012, 4, 693-698.
41. Wu, LN; Huang, TT; Yang, LL; Pan, JB; Zhu, SB; Yan, XM*. Sensitive and selective bacterial detection using tetracysteine-tagged phages in conjunction with biarsenical dye, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 5873-5877.
40. Zhu, SB; Wang, S; Yang, LL; Huang, TX; Yan, XM*. Progress in the development of techniques based on light scattering for single nanoparticle detection, Sci. China Chem. 2011, 54, 1244-1253.
39. Zheng, Y; Lin, L; Hang, W; Yan, XM*; Marrone, B. L.* Analysis of beryllium to biomolecule binding using a metal specific fluorescent probe and competitive Assay, Talanta. 2011, 85, 638-643.
38. Zhang, Z*; Zheng, Y; Hang, W; Yan, XM*; Zhao, YF. Sensitive and selective offon rhodamine hydrazide fluorescent chemosensor for hypochlorous acid detection and bioimaging, Talanta. 2011, 85, 779-786.
37. Huang, ZZ; Lin, L; Gao, Y; Chen, YJ; Yan, XM; Xing, JC; Hang, W*. Bladder cancer determination via two urinary metabolites: a biomarker pattern approach, Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2011, 10, 10.1074/mcp.M111.007922-1-007922-10.
36. Lin, L; Huang, ZZ; Gao, Y; Yan, XM; Xing, JC; Hang, W*. LC-MS based serum metabonomic analysis for renal cell carcinoma diagnosis, staging, and biomarker discovery, J. Proteome. Res., 2011, 10, 1396-1405.
35. Zhu, SB; Yang, LL; Long, Y; Gao, M; Huang, TX; Hang, W; Yan, XM*. Size differentiation and absolute quantification of gold nanoparticles via single particle detection with a laboratory-built high-sensitivity flow Cytometer, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 12176-12178.
34. Yang, LL; Wu, LN; Zhu, SB; Long, Y; Hang, W; Yan, XM*. Rapid, absolute, and simultaneous quantification of specific pathogenic strain and total bacterial cells using an ultrasensitive dual-color flow Cytometer, Analytical Chemistry, 2010, 82, 1109-1116.
33. Zhang, ZL; Long, Y; Pan, JB; Yan, XM*. Preparation of fluorescence-encoded microspheres in a core-shell structure for suspension arrays, J. Mater. Chem., 2010, 20, 1179-1185.
32. Long, Y; Zhang, ZL; Yan, XM*; Xing, JC*; Zhang, KY; Huang, JX; Zheng, JX; Li, W. Multiplex immunodetection of tumor markers with a suspension array built upon core-shell structured functional fluorescence-encoded microspheres, Anal. Chim. Acta, 2010, 665, 63-68.
31. Yan, XM; Lin, YM; Huang, RF; Hang, W*; Harrison, W. W. A spectroscopic investigation of the afterglow and recombination process in a microsecond pulsed glow discharge, J. Anal. At. Spectrom. 2010, 25, 534-543.
30. Lin, L; Yu, Q; Yan, XM; Hang, W*; Zheng, JX; Xing, JC; Huang, BL. Direct infusion mass spectrometry or liquid chromatography mass spectrometry for human metabonomics? A serum metabonomic study of kidney cancer, Analyst. 2010, 135, 2970-2978.
29. Xing, JC*; Yan, LJ; Zhang, J*; Lin, L; Gao, Y; Chen, WG; Song, XY; Yan, XM; Hang, W*; Huang, BL. A comparative study of elution gradients in UPLC-TOF-MS-based metabonomics research, Chromatographia, 2010, 72, 807-813.
28. Yang, LL; Zhu, SB; Hang, W; Wu, LN; Yan, XM*. Development of an ultrasensitive dual-channel flow cytometer for the individual analysis of nanosized particles and biomolecules, Anal. Chem., 2009, 81, 2555-2563.
27. Ding, J; Lin, L; Hang, W; Yan, XM*. Beryllium uptake and related biological effects studied in THP-1 differentiated macrophages, Metallomics, 2009, 1, 471-478.
26. Chen, ZJ; Yan, XM*. Simultaneous determination of melamine and 5-hydroxymethylfurfural in milk by capillary electrophoresis with diode array detection, J. Agric. Food Chem., 2009, 57, 8742-8747.
25. Zhang, J*; Yan, LJ; Chen, WG; Lin, L; Song, XY; Yan, XM; Hang, W*; Huang, BL. Metabonomics research of diabetic nephropathy and type 2 diabetes mellitus based on UPLC-oaTOF-MS system, Analytica Chimica Acta, 2009, 650, 16-22.
24. Chen, LZ; Lin, L; Yu, Q; Yan, XM; Hang, W*; He, J; Huang, BL. Semiquantitative multielemental analysis of biological samples by a laser ionization orthogonal time-of-flight mass spectrometer, Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 2009, 20, 1355-1358.
23. Yang, LL; Zhu, SB; Hang, W; Yan, XM*. Development of a single-molecule flow analyzer, Chem. J. Chinese U., 2008, 29, 1549-1551.
22. Zhang, J*; Yan, LJ; Lin, L; Chen, WG; Song, XY; Yan, XM; Hang, W*; Huang, BL. Metabonomics research of diabetic mellitus and diabetic nephropathy based on UPLC-oaTOF-MS system, Chemical Journal of Chinese Universities-Chinese, 2008, 29, 2171-2173.
21. He, J; Zhong, WW; Tang, AJ; Yan, XM; Lewis, C.; Majidi, V.; Hang, W. A fluorescence detection scheme for ultra large molecules after gas phase separation, Talanta, 2007, 71, 2126-2128.
20. Yan, XM*; Zhong, WW; Tang, AJ; Schielke, E. G.; Hang W, Nolan J. P. Multiplexed flow cytometric immunoassay for influenza virus detection and differentiation, Anal. Chem., 2005, 77, 7673-7678.
19. Yan, XM*; Habbersett R. C.; Yoshida, T. M.; Nolan, J. P.; Jett, J. H.; Marrone, B. L. Probing the kinetics of SYTOX Orange stain binding to double-stranded DNA with implications for DNA analysis, Analytical Chemistry, 2005, 77, 3554-3562.
18. Yan, XM*; Tang, AJ; Schielke, E.G.; Hang, W; Nolan, J. P. On the development of a microsphere-based multiplexed immunoassay for influenza virus typing and subtyping by flow cytometry, Options for the control of influenza V, International Congress Series, 2004, 1263, 342-345.
17. Yan, XM*; Schielke, E.G.; Grace, K.M.; Hassell, C.; Marrone, B. L.; Nolan, J. P.* Microsphere-based duplexed immunoassay for influenza virus typing by flow cytometry, J. Immunol. Methods, 2004, 284, 27-38.
16. Ferris, M. M.; Yan, XM; Habbersett, R. C.; Shou, YL; Lemanski, C. L.; Jett, J. H.; Yoshida, T. M.; Marrone, B. L. Performance assessment of DNA fragment sizing by high sensitivity flow cytometry and pulsed field gel electrophoresis, J. Clin. Microbiol., 2004, 42, 1965-1976.
15. Yan, XM; Hang, W; Majidi, V.; Marrone, B. L.; Yoshida, T. M. Evaluation of different nucleic acid stains for sensitive dsDNA analysis with capillary electrophoresis separation, J. Chromatogr. A., 2002, 943, 275-285.
14. Yan, XM; Ingeneri, K.; Hang, W; Harrison, W. W. Factors influencing signal profiles in microsecond pulsed glow discharge atomic emission spectrometry, J. Anal. At. Spectrom., 2001, 16, 819-824.
13. Yan, XM; Habbersett, R. C.; Cordek, J. M.; Nolan, J. P.; Yoshida, T. M.; Jett, J. H.; Marrone, B. L. Development of a mechanism-based, DNA staining protocol using SYTOX Orange nucleic acid stain and DNA fragment sizing flow cytometry, Anal. Biochem., 2000, 286, 138-148.
12. Yan, XM; Grace, W. K.; Yoshida, T. M.; Habbersett, R. C.; Velapan, N.; Jett, J. H.; Keller, R. A.; Marrone, B. L. Characteristics of different nucleic acid staining dyes for DNA fragment sizing by flow cytometry, Anal. Chem., 1999, 71, 5470-5480.
11. Hang, W; Yan, XM; Wayne, D. M.*; Olivares, J. A.; Harrison, W. W.; Majidi, V. Glow discharge source interfacing to mass analyzers: Theoretical and practical considerations, Anal. Chem., 1999, 71, 3231-3237.
10. Hang, W; Yan, XM; Wayne, D. M.; Olivares, J. A.; Harrison, W. W.; Majidi, V.* Selective removal of matrix ion peaks in plasma source time-of-flight mass spectrometry: ion deflection and detector gating, J. Anal. At. Spectrom., 1999, 14, 1523-1526.
9. Duan, YX; Danen, R. E.; Yan, XM; Steiner, R.; Cuadrado, J.; Wayne, D.; Majidi, V.; Olivares, J. A*. Characterization of an improved thermal ionization cavity source for mass spectrometry, J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom., 1999, 10, 1008-1015.
8. Yan, XM; Hang, W; Smith, B. W.; Winefordner, J. D.; Harrison, W. W.* Primary studied of microsecond pulsed glow discharge as an emission sources by using conventional hollow cathode lamp, J. Anal. At. Spectrom., 1998, 13, 1033-1038.
7. Harrison, W. W.*; Hang, W; Yan, XM; Ingeneri, K.; Schilling, C. Temporal considerations with a pulsed glow discharge”, J. Anal. At. Spectrom., 1997, 12, 891-896.
6. Yan, XM*; Huang, BL; Tanaka, T.; Kawaguchi, H. Langmuir probe potential measurements for reduced pressure inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry, J. Anal. At. Spectrom., 1997, 12, 697-701.
5. Yan, XM; Tanaka, T.; Kawaguchi, H.* Electrothermal vaporization for the determination of halogens by reduced pressure inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry, Spectrochim. Acta B, 1996, 51, 1345-1353.
4. Yan, XM; Tanaka, T.; Kawaguchi, H.* Reduced pressure inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry for nonmetallic elements, Appl. Spectrosc., 1996, 50, 182-187.
3. Wang, XR*; Zhuang, ZX; Yang, CL; Yang, PY; Yan, XM; Lin, JM. Development of transient data acquisition system for hyphenated techniques coupled with inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectrometry, Spectrochim. Acta B, 1996, 51, 1753-1759.
2. Yan, XM; Wang, XR; Yang, PY; Hang, W; Huang, BL*. Signal Acquisition and processing in transient introduction techniques on-line hyphenated with multichannel ICP-AES, Chem. J. Chinese U., 1993, 14, 1506-1509.
1. Wang, XR*; Zhu, EY; Yan, XM; Yang, PY; Huang, BL; Zhuang, ZX. Chemometrics study on preliminary clinical diagnostics for cancer patients, Acta Chim. Sinica, 1993, 51, 1094-1098.